This process began in March. Seth used my dad's tractor to break up the ground- he used many different types of equipment and pulled it behind the tractor. I think he went over the ground multiple times to get it ready for him to till. This part was done while everyone sat on the brick wall and watched! :)![]()
This is what the garden looked like after Seth had completed breaking the ground up....now how it went from this....to....
This, I will never know! But he had it broken up very well and started tilling the lines. Papaw would sit and watch him, but he would never tell him anything- it made me laugh because Seth would ask Papaw what he needed to do and Papaw would always say what he was doing was just fine, then Papaw would turn around and tell me or Daddy, "I would have..." and then proceeded to tell us he would have done it differently! Seth finally just started asking him before he even began! Also- I don't have a picture of it, but when Seth was hoeing the places to plant the seeds, Seth asked Papaw how he should do it- Papaw, at 90 years old, got up and hoed him a row and told Seth exactly what to do! The impressive part? (Well, besides hoeing the entire row) He hoed the entire row so straight! It is probably the straightest row that Seth has in the garden!
Seth planted all the seeds on Good Friday...and then it never rained or anything. So he replanted some of the seeds. Not sure which ones, but the beginning of June is when we were able to pick our first batch of veggies! We had squash EVERYWHERE! And it is wonderful!! We have about 18 bags frozen and the first week we ate fresh squash daily!
The next veggie that we (as in, Seth!) were able to pick were snap beans or better known to everyone else as green beans! We have fixed a couple dinners with the green beans, but Seth has taken up a new hobby...see below!
Yep, canning. He decided that he would learn how to can all the green beans so that we didn't have to freeze everything and take up all the freezer space! While we have eaten some green beans fresh from the garden, we haven't had any of the beans that he has canned yet. It has been very interesting to watch him learn how to do this... and I helped him for the first time today. While he packed the green beans, I sprinkled salt on them! (A lot of help, I know!)
Then we Seth placed them in the pressure canner to cook...
I think currently we have 33 quarts of green beans canned...and we still have another 5 quart bucket in the fridge waiting to be cooked or canned!
The next veggie that we will be picked is bush peas or better known as black-eyed peas (I think...). I'm really not sure what or how or when you plant, pick, can, etc. But I do know how to eat the veggies and I have loved everything the garden has produced so far...can't wait for the rest!!

No comments:
Post a Comment